A500.1.5.RB_WilsonLindsey

When I was young I felt that a leader was the person who stood on a stage and gave speeches. To me this individual had somehow managed to obtain this authority without having to ask permission; they just took it. At the school assemblies the principal never asked for permission to talk to the student body. The pastor at church needed no introduction to start giving the sermon to the congregation, and in other formal events it was usually a subordinate that introduced the person who would ultimately be given the power of the podium and microphone. In my naïve mind leaders were just lucky people that were given a job where they talked to large groups of people.  I now know that leadership is so much more than giving speeches, and through experience I’ve learned that any skill or ability must be carefully studied and practiced, hence why I’ve started this educational journey in leadership.
In the first week of class my perception of leadership has already been challenged, especially when given the task of looking at leadership in the context of intellectual perseverance and critical thinking.  Nosich states, “Critical thinking is different from just thinking. It is metacognitive – it involves thinking about your thinking.” (Nosich, 2012). In other words, as a leader critical thinking goes beyond finding a solution to a problem and inputting the answer. It means taking a critical look at one’s own thought process to become a better leader.  I would define intellectual perseverance as the need to struggle with a concept or problem in order to gain deeper understanding through critical thinking. (Valuable Intellectual Traits, 2014) In other words, a leader is not someone who just finds a solution to a problem. A leader needs to struggle to gain deeper understanding, which goes beyond solution based thinking. This need also implies an element of passion and through this passion the leader is able to overcome obstacles and persevere. For example, the Wright brothers showed intellectual perseverance because they had the dream that one day they could make man fly. Despite public skepticism and failed experiments they continued to study the mechanics of flight to achieve their goal. Finally, in December of 1903 the Wright brothers proved to the world that man could fly. When I started to think more about intellectual perseverance with respect to leadership Robert Frost’s poem “The Road Not Taken” came to mind.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
I took the one less traveled by,
                              And that has made all the difference. (Frost, 1967, p.105).

A leader with intellectual perseverance is like the man standing in front of two roads. A good leader has the need to self-reflect and to know what they do not know; to have the fortitude to walk down the path less traveled in order to grow and develop as a leader.
How will this intellectual perseverance be important in the progress of my studies? My gut response to this is: we’ll find out. However, right away I realize the irony that I have just committed a fallacy by avoiding the question. Why? After reflecting on fallacies I asked myself why I use them so much, and why are they so prevalent in our daily conversations with serious matters. I’ve come to the conclusion that fallacies are the mind’s excuses to not use critical thinking for fear that we will struggle with our own solutions. In other words we do not want to intellectually persevere because we might discover our own short comings. As a learner and a leader I will have to face my fears and show intellectual humility in order to become more practiced at critical thinking and show intellectual perseverance. I’m beginning to realize how little time I use critical thinking, and as a leader I will have to actively pursue knowledge in its pure form vs. finding solutions and facts. However, I feel that by acknowledging my fallacy and applying some critical thinking to the issue I have already taken a step in the long road towards intellectual perseverance. Through this, my understanding of a leader is morphing into someone who is more of a scholar vs. a person with a microphone and podium.

 

 Bibliography

Fieser, J. & Dowden, B. (Eds). (2003). Fallacies. In Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved from  http://www.iep.utm.edu/fallacy/

Nosich, G. M. (2012). Learning to Think Things Through A Guide to Critical Thinking across the Curriculum. Boston: Pearson.

Robert. (1967). The Road Not Taken. Lathem, Edward C (Ed.). The Poetry of Robert Frost (p.105). New York: Holt Rinehart Winston

Valuable Intellectual Virtues. (September 2014). Foundation For Critical Thinking. Retreved from http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/valuable-intellectual-traits/528








 

 (Links to an external site.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A632.9.3.RB - Role of Emotion in Decision Making

A632.8.3.RB Reflections on Cynefin Framework

A632.6.3.RB The High Cost of Conflict