Shoemaker and Russo (in Hoch) discuss the hazards associated with "frame blindness" and how to guard against them.  Discuss three ways you can avoid "framing traps" and provide a detailed example of each from your life experience.  Could you have framed each situation differently? What did the exercise teach you about complex decision-making? What additional tools or "frames" might have helped you through the process? How was "risk" a factor in your examples? What did you learn about yourself through this exercise? 

Frame blindness is when we are unaware of the frames that we are using and are unable to see a problem though a different lens (Hoch, 2001). An example of frame blindness would be a company that switches vendors to create marketing and promotional items because their ordering process is streamlined and can be ordered in bulk making it easier for the logistics department to ship out the items. However, the items are too expensive for individual store locations to purchase. In this example the manager had frame blindness because they were only looking through the frame of one stakeholder, the logistics department, but was not thinking about the burden of cost on individual locations.

Anchoring:

One area that I fall into the trap of frame blindness is through anchoring other people’s opinions or perspectives and take them as my own. Hoch (2001) warns that anchoring can lead to a trap in decision making because we take someone else’s opinion or perspective and use this as our own starting point. The trap with this is that this person may be totally off base and we did not completely vet their perspective or frame before implementing the decision.

 An example of when I fell into the trap of anchoring was when I was student teaching. While student teaching I would often think about how my co-teacher (I’ll call him Mr. Smith) would approve or disapprove of my lesson. Before implementing the lesson I would often ask for his advice. Although Mr. Smith often gave me great advice, he would often tell me to teach using his style, and discouraged me from changing the status quo. Mr. Smith relied heavily on worksheets, and call and response techniques. He often told me to simplify my lessons and to take out a lot of the activities that I thought would be fun and meaningful for the students. Looking back, I was noticing signs of frame misfit (Hoch, 2001). When I used Mr. Smith’s techniques I felt like I was a robot; I was bored and my students were bored.  The more I tried to be more like Mr. Smith the more a voice inside of me told me that something wasn’t working. Towards the end of my student teaching I decided to do things my way. At this point I was struggling with a lot of self-doubt, my professors were giving me feedback during their observations that my students weren’t meeting the objectives, and one of them questioned me if I still wanted to teach. At this point, I had nothing to lose. Although I ran the risk of upsetting Mr. Smith, it was a greater risk to stay with the status quo than to try something new.  I rearranged the classroom so the students sat in groups instead of rows. I created short introduction lessons and had student work in groups and then come back together as a class to review the learning. By doing this I was able to help guide students in their learning my moving between groups. My students were engaged, I was having enjoying the experience and I was receiving positive feedback from Mr. Smith and my professors. This example taught me to be true to myself. I realized that there is more than one way to get the job done, but if I was always trying to be like someone else I would lose my authenticity and I wouldn’t achieve the desired results.

Although I learned a lot about myself through my example with student teaching, I wish would have thought of my own perspective first, and ask for guidance and then decide what would or wouldn’t work for me (Soll, 2015). In this case I also learned to listen to my instincts. When the voice inside of me tells me that something isn’t working I now stop and ask myself why and assess the situation.

 

Recognizing Key Assumptions and Emerging Frames:

An example of frame trap that I have been recently discovering that I have been a victim of is assuming that what was true in the past will be true in the future. With this, I am learning to appreciate emerging frames and to recognize my personal assumptions, and the assumptions of others (Hoch, 2001). For example, in almost every job I’ve had in the past my co-workers and leadership valued and understood the importance of teamwork. Although there was a hierarchy of positions and job titles, overall it was assumed that those on the bottom can at some level provide insight to those at the top. Leadership often initiated brainstorm sessions, sought the advice of those on the ground and overall there were opportunities for leader-follower exchange (Nourthouse, 2016).

 About 6 months ago my office received a new campus lead. I had assumed that what had been true in the past would be true in the future. However, I found that through a series of events conversations that the campus lead had a more directive leadership approach, and team work was not as valued as it had been for me in the past. She assigned me tasks that she expected to be completed per her directive. I was left feeling more like a minion than a valued member of the team because I was not able be a part of the planning process as I had been in the past, and I wasn’t able to complete tasks the way I preferred to do them. One day I noticed that she seemed overwhelmed and she was complaining that she had too much on her plate. Knowing that I could complete some of these tasks for her I offered my assistance. She said, “No, these tasks were assigned to me, so I’m responsible for them.” It was then that I realized that she saw management and leadership through a much different lens/frame than I do. I have to admit that it had been difficult not to take these situations personally, but I am starting to come to terms with the fact that it isn’t personal, but instead she has a different frame. She sees her leadership role as the one to solve the problems and to delegate tasks that are within the roles of a job title. However, the frame from which I see management and leadership is that solving problems is a burden that can be distributed appropriately amongst all members of the team, and that tasks can be assigned to someone based off of their abilities to complete the task vs. their assigned role or job title.

By recognizing the campus lead’s assumptions I have come to the realization that I need to look for ways to align our frames and to stretch my own frame (Hoch, 2001). I have to admit that this has been very difficult for me because it has forced me to put aside the personal value of team work, and humble myself. In this case I have a constant inner battle of wondering how I can encourage the campus lead to stretch her frame, while at the same time making sure that I am also putting forth the effort to stretch my own frame. In this case, I think Hoch (2001) would encourage me to speak to her frame. One way that I have been actively working on to speak to her frame is to improve upon our personal relationship. I have intentionally taken more time aside to chat with her about things outside of work. This has allowed for both of us to get to know each other better and ensure a positive working relationship. I have also asked for the assistance of our director who has also noticed our frame disconnect. The director has recently implemented for us to have weekly meetings for the two of us to have the formal time to sit down and discuss issues surrounding our campus and improve our communication. I am still working on solving this problem and knowing when to stand my ground and assert myself, and when to stretch my frame.

Regain control of the frame by changing the Metaphor:

Hoch (2001) warns, “whenever someone uses the descriptive imagery or a strong analogy to define a problem to be on guard: you are about to be framed.” (p. 152). When I read this, my mind went to politics. I see on the news how there seems to be a battle of who has the best, or often the scariest, metaphor to drive their political point home. However, as Hoch (2001) points out that to avoid frame trap, that we need to challenge the metaphor and by looking at the alternative message. The reason it is important to challenge these emotion invoking frames is because, “These [frames] suggest that actors, responding to their own incentives, shape agendas and control information flows to steer strategic choices in a preferred direction.”(Kaplan, 2008, p. 729).  

An example of when I used changing metaphor was when I started managing the USO lounge at Andrews Air Force Base. This USO was a very small lounge, very few people actually passed through the lounge, and the volunteers felt that other USO showed favoritism towards larger USOs. Coming into the position, I knew that the lounge had been mismanaged. During one of our meetings one volunteer said, “We’re the ‘redheaded stepchild’ no one cares what happens to us.” I realized very quickly that according to their frame and the observations that I had made, this analogy had merit. I also realized that I had to do what I could as a leader to change their frame, get buy in, and improve our situation. I changed our metaphor by announcing that we were instead “the little engine that could”. I promised them that they would see major results in how the lounge was managed and most of all they would feel appreciated. By reinforcing this new, positive metaphor I started to get more buy in; volunteers were following policy, coming forward with their ideas for improvements, and bringing in leads for people who might be interested in volunteering.

The risk of this changing metaphor was that I had to deliver on my promises. I had to live up to the metaphor by climbing the mountain despite the setbacks that I encountered, and constantly thanking the volunteers for their time and service to the USO. Mainly, I had to lead by example. If I didn’t live up to my metaphor and promises, then the volunteers would have quickly realized that I was all talk and no action. Another risk I ran was agreeing that the volunteer’s metaphor had some truth to it. The exact opposite could have been true and as a result I would have made unnecessary changes. However, in this case I had some insight into what had gone on previously and I had already made some observations about what was happening before I asked for volunteer feedback. In this way I checked my personal bias by getting feedback and input from others (Soll, 2015). This situation has been the most influential to me as a leader. As a decision maker it taught me that it takes time and patience to change people’s perspectives. Although I was successful in the end, I received a lot of pushback in the beginning. I learned that I had to, “appreciate people’s emotional commitment to their frames…people usually need considerable time to adapt.” (Hoch, 2001, p. 154).

 

 

References:

Kaplan, S. (2008). Framing contests: Strategy making under uncertainty. Organization Science, 19(5), 729-752.

Northouse, P.G.(2016). Leadership: Theory and practice. (7th ed). Thousand Oaks, CA:Sage.

Soll, J. B., Milkman, K. L., & Payne, J. W. (2015). Outsmart your own biases. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.

 

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A632.9.3.RB - Role of Emotion in Decision Making

A632.8.3.RB Reflections on Cynefin Framework

A632.6.3.RB The High Cost of Conflict