What are some standards that are most important in your life? How did you acquire those standards? How have they changed over the years?

To me, in this context, a standard is something that I measure others and myself by. After giving this some thought, integrity and empathy were by far the most important standards for me.
Integrity to me is doing your best when no one is watching. It is taking pride in something that others may not appreciate or even notice. Growing up I often worked with my dad doing handyman work or putting up siding on houses. I learned that old homes settle and because of the settling you have to install the siding slightly off level to trick your eye into thinking everything is level. I remember my dad explaining to me how we needed to measure everything out and run chalk lines against the house. Knowing that this would add hours to our work I asked my dad, “Can’t we just put the siding up? Are they even going to notice?” My dad responded, “But I’ll notice it every time we drive by this house.” This conversation has stayed with me. My dad taught me to take pride in your work even when others don’t notice or see the value. For example, my boss may not notice that I pitched in to help a co-worker with a project they were struggling with. However, my co-worker now sees that I have integrity and will gain more trust in me, support me, and possibly return the favor someday. I also see this as a standard of a good leader. A good leader will have the integrity to “do the dirty work” and give praise to the team vs. the team doing the work and then accepting the praise for themselves.
Integrity also has an element of empathy too. Empathy is looking at something from someone else’s point of view. It’s questioning how my actions, or inaction, affect those around me? I see this combination of integrity and empathy all the time in the workplace by a coworker pitching in even though they don’t have to, or the person who doesn’t care that others are picking up their slack. However, the meaning of empathy changed for me while I was in college from going from a singular to plural perspective. I took a lot of classes that focused on international politics, religion and ethics. I realized that empathy is more than just putting myself in one person’s shoes, but putting myself into a group of people’s shoes. For example, when looking at current events I ask myself, “How might group X feel about this? How has their history, social and political experiences shaped the way they feel and react to this situation?”
However, I’ve learned there is a consequence to empathy and integrity. For me, empathy also leads me to feel angry and frustrated, and integrity calls me into action. When I can see a social or political problem from multiple sides, but I see others looking at the issue in one dimension I get angry. The more you truly care about something the more it will affect you. There are times that I wish I didn’t care, and that I could be one of those people that don’t watch the news, or think about others might feel, and live in ignorant bliss. For me empathy and integrity in relation to critical-thinking standards is like Plato’s allegory of the cave. Once you leave the cave and you see the light you are forever changed, and therefore you cannot return to the cave, even if you may want to.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A632.9.3.RB - Role of Emotion in Decision Making

A632.8.3.RB Reflections on Cynefin Framework

A632.6.3.RB The High Cost of Conflict