by Sheena Iyengar on the art of choosing. Dr. Iyengar assumes that Americans believe the following when it comes to making choices:
1.      Make your own choices,
2.      More options leads to better choices, and
3.      Never say no to choice.
Reflect on these assumptions in your Leadership blog. Do you agree with Dr. Iyengar? What is the implication of her comments on leadership? Make sure to stay tuned through the end to see Dr. Iyengar's Action Research on pink nail polish.


Freedom of Choice…. with Limitations:

When I first read this prompt my mind flashed back to when I was a teacher. In my undergrad we were taught all of the time about student choice and its relation to education. The broad overall learning was that giving children choices allowed each child to learn to the best of their ability. However, there was a major caveat…structure. As Dr. Iyengar mentioned, too many options can be overwhelming, and can actually lead to poorer choices by the individual. This concept was proven true when I taught preschool. As a teacher, each student had a choice of which area to play in during “free time,” but they were not allowed to move from one area to the next during that time. My new co-teacher thought that this was too strict and thought that the students should be able to choose where they played and for how long. The co-teacher perception of my strictness confirms Dr. Iyengar’s findings and the American assumption that we never say no to choice, and that more options means better choices. After coming back from my 15 minute break I walked into a room of what can only be described as Armageddon. Kids were screaming and fighting, toys were all over the place and finger paint had somehow turned into face paint that reminded me of war paint. After we finally got the kids settled back into order and outside for recess I talked with my co-teacher about what happened. She told me that she had allowed the kids to choose where they wanted to play and were allowed to rotate between areas freely. After some dialog between the two of us it was agreed that choice is important for children, but there has to be structure to not only make the classroom run smoother, but to also support the children’s needs.
I believe that the story above and the teachings of Dr. Iyengar can be directly applied to leadership. As described in Dr. Iyengar’s study of children and the anagram puzzles, people in general perform better when they are provided with choices, but given too many choices will lead to the opposite effect. The trick is, is to find the happy medium. As a result, I think a leader needs to provide freedom for people to choose, while at the same time providing structure and purpose, by doing this a leader can keep some of Dr. Iyengar’s assumptions in check. For example, when I worked for the USO, I use to be a part of a fund raising committee that was volunteer ran. We would start each new season by reflecting on the previous year and then brainstorming new ideas. This was always beneficial and new volunteers would bring in a new, fresh perspective and expertise to the table. However, there was always a challenge of keeping these meetings focused while at the same time not shutting down ideas or creativity. As a result, we would start these brains storm sessions by reminding the volunteers of our goals for the event:
1.) To raise awareness to community members of the services our specific location
      offered to military members and their families
2.) To raise at least $30,000 for our location.

With this we set limitations:
1.)    Ideas had to be practical. The test for this was, if you as the idea maker weren’t willing to help implement it, then it wasn’t practical. (i.e. If you want Brad Pitt to come, then you invite him.) 
2.)    Our investment into the fundraiser could not exceed $5,000
3.)    Had to align with USO policy
4.)    Any debate would be solved with a vote
5.)    Finalized action plan had to be drafted 6 months out from the event

With these goals and limitations, we were able to come up with some great ideas, while at the same time staying focused on the task at hand.

Reflection on Values & Choices:

While watching the video I had an lightbulb moment when Dr. Iyengar talked about how choices reflect our values and assumptions. First, this made me think about how we have discussed in class that it is important for a leader to reflect on their personal values to inform their decisions. I understood this at a surface level, but I wasn’t getting how impactful a leader’s values could be in their decision making.
I use to be an assistant to one of the directors for the USO. As a result of this position I was often times a middle man between staff and the director. As a result, I learned that one of our managers was having employees wash disposable picnic cups to reuse to save money. On top of this, she micromanaged their budget so much that the centers were running low on even daily supplies. As a result, her staff felt degraded. After this came to light the director stepped in to try to coach the manager to build moral and the staff back up. One of his requests was for the manager to write up a description of her management style and her expectations for staff. In her write up she explained that she valued being thrifty and hated seeing anything go to waste. Also, she called herself a perfectionist and was “proud of my OCD” and as a result she expected all staff to be perfectionists as well. Long story short, she was later asked to leave the organization.
This memory is what made the connection of values and leadership for me. The manager’s personal values of thriftiness along with perfectionism were so strong that they directly influenced her decision making in a negative way. Although her values could be beneficial, they were so extreme they dominated almost every decision she made as a leader and blinded her to the other alternatives.
This lightbulb moment leads me to reflect back on an earlier post about my personal values. I listed integrity as one of my values; always doing your best even when others aren’t watching. Now I can start to peel back the layers within my own thinking and look at how it informs my personal decisions and my potential leadership decision. When I came on board to my current position there was a lot of backlogged data, spreadsheets and tasks that needed to be updated while managing my day-to-day tasks. After a few months of training I was much more confident in my abilities and was able to quickly chip away at the backlog of tasks. Recently I have found that I don’t have enough to do to keep me busy throughout the whole day because I have caught the office up on everything and finished daily tasks. However, instead of sitting and looking at Facebook I have been creating a communication plan on how and when to contact students to hopefully increase student enrollment. It has also opened up more time to think strategically about how we can grow our campus and support our students. My co-worker and manager do not expect this out of me, but I expect it out of myself.  When I ask myself, “Would you expect an employee to have the same approach as you?” my answer is definitely a yes. Since integrity is such a strong value for me, I would expect the same out of those I lead. The next step for me as a leader now is to reflect on how I can communicate this value to staff in a positive to staff and the organization.  


Iyengary, Sheena. (July 2010). The Art Of Choosing. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/sheena_iyengar_on_the_art_of_choosing?language=en


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A632.9.3.RB - Role of Emotion in Decision Making

A632.8.3.RB Reflections on Cynefin Framework

A632.6.3.RB The High Cost of Conflict