MSLD 511 Module 2 Reflecting on Leadership Traits






In considering the traits approach to leadership, what are some of your traits you consider adding or detracting from your ability to lead?

When I first read this question my first instinct was to add persistence as a trait. For me persistence is to push through obstacles to reach a goal.  However, before I selected this trait I wanted a more objective opinion of this so I gave 3 people the Leadership Trait Questionnaire and they scored me at a 4.5 where I gave myself only a 3. Although I know that this is not large enough statistical sample, it actually lead to an aha-moment. I asked one of my co-workers why she scored me with a 4 and she said that she has observed me coming up with ideas that I want to implement, and that I will take the necessary action to make sure that the idea comes to fruition even if issues come up. She said that she didn’t give me a 5 because if I am told no, I don’t always advocate for myself and my idea even though they are good ideas. In an almost off handed way she mentioned that I tend to advocate for others over myself. More on this later...
The two areas that I scored the lowest in were self-assurance and outgoingness. Everyone, including myself, gave me a 3 in these areas. Although I have positive view of myself and my capabilities, I can often question myself in regards to if the risk is worth the outcome. Overall I know that I am very risk avoidant. Even though I have found this trait to be beneficial in certain situations like Stogdill’s findings that, “leaders in one situation may not necessarily be leaders in another situation.” (Stogdill,1948, 1974; Northouse, 2016, p. 20), I know that I need to work on my willingness to take risks as a leader. I’m reminded of a short poem that says:

“There is freedom waiting for you,
On the breezes of the sky,
And you ask “What if I fall?”
Oh but my darling,
What if you fly?”

With regards to the trait of being outgoing, I actually enjoy social situations if I know the people around me. I dread walking into a room where I don’t know a single person and being asked to socialize. I remember I was invited to a board meeting for a previous job to observe. I walked into the room with the big long table in their suits and ties and I was instantly anxious. During the “social hour” I felt like I was just wandering around the room. I got up the guts to introduce myself to a few people, but I do not have the art of conversation with strangers unless they can be the ones to naturally bring up a topic. Since most of the people in the room were talking about football and their summer homes I was completely out of my comfort zone. Looking back, I talked myself out of taking the risk of being social thinking things like: I have no clue what they are talking about business wise and I will look foolish trying to interact with them. What if they think I’m a complete fool trying to interact with them from a business perspective? etc.
So what does all of this mean for me in regards to the trait theory? My aha-moment came to me when I connected the dots and realized that it is mostly my self-doubt and aversion to risk that I misinterpreted as a lack of perseverance in myself. If I am perfectly honest, even the off handed comment my co-worker made is a result of me being risk avoidant. I would rather build someone else up, because if they “win” everyone benefits, but if things don’t go so well I am off the hook.
So the next question I have to ask myself is, how I can I develop my ability to take risks in a social setting? I have come up with a few handicaps that I feel will help take me to the next level to improve develop my leadership traits. 1.) Find the social butterfly in the room. Since they have the art of conversation they will naturally talk with me in a group setting which will allow me to get to know others too, and once I know people I am perfectly comfortable in the social situation. 2.) Fake it until I make it and full immersion. As I’ve gotten older I am generally more confident and I have intentionally immersed myself into a situation where I have to sink or swim. In those situations I know my other traits and skills with allow me to swim in the long run. As a result I can look for opportunities to put myself in social situations where I am forced to interact with strangers. If I do this enough times, chances are I will become more, and more comfortable in these types of situations. 

Considering Stogdill’s (1948, 1974) findings that leadership traits must be relevant to a leader’s actions (Northouse, 2015), how are traits important to your leadership style?

This portion of the questions to me really comes down to integrity and being self-aware of myself and my actions as a leader. In other words: integrity. “Integrity is the quality of honesty and trustworthiness…Basically, integrity makes a leader believable and worthy of our trust.” (Northouse, 2016, p.25).  As a result, the traits that I express through action are the true indicators of my leadership ability and style, not the ones that I say I have. By being cognizant of my true traits vs. my preserved traits I have a clearer picture of where I need to grow and develop as a leader. (Northouse, 2016).
On a similar note, I value team work and emotional intelligence in high regard. This informs me that as a leader I will naturally gravitate towards individuals with similar traits and values, and I want to always look for ways for people to collaborate, share ideas and bond as a team. Although this is a good thing I may be unintentionally alienating those that bring in other skills to the table that are needed as well.
My traits may also help me in determining the type of work environment my leadership style will work best in. For example, due to my natural avoidance of risk in regards to social contexts described above, it may be better for me to work for smaller companies, or with smaller teams vs. large corporate companies since over time the constant new social settings may be too overwhelming in the long run.


Northouse, P. G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and practice 7th ed. Los Angeles, CA: Sage Publishing

Stogdill, R.M. (1948). Personal factors associated with leadership: A survey of the literature. Journal of Psychology, 25, 35-71.

Stigdill, R.M. (1974). Handbook of leadership: A survey of theory and research. New York: Free Press.
*Note the poem quoted, to the best of my knowledge it is by Erin Hanson, but I was not able to find the original publishing information for the poem.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A632.9.3.RB - Role of Emotion in Decision Making

A632.8.3.RB Reflections on Cynefin Framework

A632.6.3.RB The High Cost of Conflict